skin stitches or stitches in the nail will need to be removed in seven to 14 days. Any stitches in the nail bed will dissolve by themselves and can be left in place.
- The doctor may want to recheck the wound in three to five days.
- Take any antibiotics as directed.
- Keep the wound clean and dry. Follow any specific wound care instructions given by the doctor.
- Keep the hand or foot above the level of the heart to aid in pain control.
- If the doctor prescribed pain medicine, then take it as directed. Otherwise, acetaminophen or ibuprofen may be used for pain control if there are no allergies to these medications.